Open Water Swimming
Why not cycle to the park, swim in the lake, and then take advantage of Parkrun and compete in your own mini triathlon every Saturday!
Open water swimming runs from April-September, water temperature depending.
We will be running two open 'pay as you swim' sessions this year, with allcomers welcome to both. All we ask is that you can swim 400m freestyle without rest and be able to tread water easily.
*Please note there is no swimming in the lake permitted outside the park's organised sessions.
Our season begins on Friday April 20th and will run as follows...
- Friday: 18.00-19.30 hrs (starting Friday 20th April 2018)
- Saturday: 07.30 - 09.00hrs (starting Saturday 21st April 2018)
- New for 2018: Wednesday 7am-8am from June 6th till the end of August
Attending our sessions
To join one of our open water swim sessions you will need to complete a form and agree to our terms and conditions.
Click the 'register to swim' link below to register in advance. If you want to be included on the evenings register you need to complete your form by 4.30pm.
Forms will also be available on the bank - please arrive in plenty of time if completing on the day. You will need to complete this form at the beginning of every season so we can be sure your information is up to date.
The cost is £5.00 per adult & £2.50 per authorised Junior.
The pay & display car parking fee will be waived for attendees of these pay as you play swims this year. You will be given a car park pass on your 1st session that will cover the remainder of this current 2017 season (applies to our open water swim sessions only).
- Wetsuits will be compulsory up to water temperature of 16 degrees. (excluding any of our signed up channel swimmers).
- Brightly coloured swim hats compulsory.
- Swimmers must follow any instructions from staff, including using the designated swim area & circulation pattern on the day.
- Safety cover will be provided by way of a SUP, canoe or powered boat during the swim session.
Todd's Pit is the smallest of our two lakes and is used for a variety of water sports and activities. The water is safe, sheltered and regularly tested to ensure its quality. Our water exceeds the UK standards recommended for bathing water and has been rated 'excellent'.
View water test certificates
If you would like coaching to improve your technique our partner Elite Swimming Academy offer 1/2 day technique clinics, 1:1 sessions and pool based swimming coaching. Their coached open water swim sessions run on Wednesday evenings at the park from 6.15pm (arrive 6pm) - 7.15pm and cost £10 per person. *Sessions begin on Weds 9th May subject to water temperatures.
Start and finish dates and any cancellations are published on our social media pages. You can also keep up to date by signing up to our email newsletter below.